History of “The McGuire House”
The McGuire House was built circa 1794. The most interesting occupant was Dr. Hunter Holmes McGuire. He was a well-known physician in the area, personal physician of General Stonewall Jackson and Surgeon General of the Army of the Virginias. During the Civil War, Stonewall Jackson visited Dr. McGuire in this house many times. The house remained in the McGuire family for many years with a Dr. McGuire (an ophthalmologist) still residing here in 1977 when the building was acquired by the members of the law firm. There are rumors of ghosts in the building and a sword hanging in the attic, but the current owners have not seen either.